Hello and welcome to the opening day of the 2021 Industry Liaison Group (ILG) National Conference.
After a one-year hiatus, the 2021 ILG National Conference officially kicked off today in Nashville, TN. Providing access to programming both virtually and in person, the conference works hard to address the realities of operating in a COVID world.
After a day of pre-conference content on Sunday, the conference officially kicked off this morning with a taped presentation from OFCCP Director Jenny Yang.
Director Yang began her remarks by sharing the news that starting August 16, Michelle Hodge, now Regional Director for the Mid-Atlantic region, will be Director Yang’s assistant career director.
She then commented generally on Department of Labor Secretary Walsh’s vision for the agency and focused on working to ensure
âGood jobs without discrimination are available to everyone.
She said OFCCP is a resource to support employers’ efforts to âremove barriers to opportunityâ.
Regarding OFCCP’s âthings to comeâ updates and announcements, Director Yang noted a few things:
- If the new federal budget is approved, this will support the hiring of nearly 188 full-time Agency employees as well as other IT initiatives, which will allow OFCCP to examine data at the national level through the continued construction of its management system.
- Revitalized the construction contractors program, to include a new planning letter (with new categories of data to be submitted at the start of audits) and a new construction audit planning selection system.
- Continuation of work to encourage entrepreneurs to use FAAP (Functional Affirmative Action Plans), which, according to the Agency, have many advantages, in particular the grouping of employees located in similar situations, which allows the OFCCP âTo identify more areas for growthâ.
- Intention to modernize regulations, streamline processes and reduce burdens while assessing indicators âgloballyâ. Some of the upgrades Director Yang mentioned that the Agency is considering include:
- requiring the establishment of goals disaggregated by race / ethnicity
- seek alternatives to the establishment-based approach better analyze workforce trends
- non-binary gender data collection
Director Yang also pointed out that the Agency has published an updated FAQ to respond to the new realities of workplaces, including teleworking.
Director Yang concluded her remarks by saying that she looks forward to working with the entrepreneurial community for years to come.